FIXED: Mousein Chop not Responding to Mouse Cursor

Hi Selina, I am using a single default mousein1 CHOP, and my trackpad and plugged in mouse work just fine. Touchdesginer sometimes breaks down on my laptop, and I have to force quit the app and reopen it. Other than that the other functions of the app seem to work fine.

Thanks

I moved my TD version to 2019.15840 and the mousein1 CHOP works. I guess it was just a small bug in version 2019.16600.

Hi, i have the saem issue. does the only way to fix it is to update the version? i’m using 2020.20020. just add the mouse in chop but nothing happen, i can read the mouse position…

I don’t think there is a specific fix for this as we can’t reproduce it at Derivative, but I would highly recommend using a newer build. 2020.20020 was the first released build of 2020 and there were some bugs in it, especially on the macOS side. So besides those initial release bugs being fixed, there is also 1.5 year of bug fixes, improvements, and changes that make the current TouchDesigner so much better than that build.

Appreciate your reply. My friends told me maybe I can change the mouse setting in ios to have a try. Anyway, I want to express my thanks. This forum is beginners friendly. So far all my issues are responded to quickly, many thanks to you and all the staff!

1 Like

Please do try the latest version of TouchDesigner.

We’ve also had a user figure out their issue was their install location. For whatever reason, TouchDesigner needed to be installed directly under /Applications for the Mouse In CHOP to work. Is that where your install directory is? If not, can you move the installation and see if that fixes the problem?

Hi, I think I installed Td directly under the application. and yes, I have updated my version, it works for me. Though for some reason the mouse in chop dead again this morning, when I closed and open the project again, it works…

Hello, I have always some problems with mouse in chop, even in windows. Particulary with touching devices. Now I only use pannel chop whith a container covering all the screen used for interaction and it works in any circonstances, be on Mac or PC.

Can you try and see if your mouse in CHOP problems happen only after clicked or typed something in an input field? Or was it not working right from the start. If you open up a TD project with a mouse in CHOP displaying, does it always work a the beginning?

Hello, could you please elaborate on how this method works? Do you have an alternate way of accessing mouse data without using mouse in CHOP? Mouse in CHOP doesn’t work at all on my macbook.

Hello,
I use a container Comp with the same size as the screen (most time 1920x1080)
I use a window Comp with “Fill” and “No Border” with the container as operator.
I use a Pannel Chop inside the container, rollu and rollv values give me the position of the mouse. You can have mouse click etc.
Here a quick sample
testPannel.toe (3.7 KB)

2 Likes

Regarding Mouse In CHOP not working. Can you list what your mac os version is, as well as which TouchDesigner build you are using? If it is not installed directly in /Applications, can you move it to that directory and see if you still have issues?

Very useful. Thank you!

It is working for me now. I do not know why it wasn’t working at the time. Thank you.

Did you change the location you installed TouchDesigner in?

Same problem on my side.
Mac Osx 10.15.7.
TouchDesigner Build 2021.16410
App is located in Applications folder.
Could this be an issue related with last Security system update ?

@morpholux No, its been an issue for as long as TouchDesigner has existed on macOS. It seems to affect 5-10% of macs, yet we have found no correlation between models or macOS versions to help us narrrow it down. And of course, all of our macs do not exhibit the issue, so it has been quite a difficult issue for us.

Since you mention 10.15.7, unrelated to this but you might want to update the new secutity patch as that version of macOS has a known bug as described here: RESOLVED: macOS Driver bug in 10.15.7 - TD will not run on some GPUs - #6 by ben

Hi Ben. I have found that the problem is related to graphic card. I install gfxCardStatus app, and if I force TouchDesigner to open with Integrated Only (which is the Intel and not the AMD Radeon i guess), then Mouse In CHOP works normally.

1 Like

Thanks @morpholux, we’ll look into this and perhaps it can point in the way of a fix in TouchDesigner.

I had the same issue using MacBookPro21. I solved it by pressing play button. When I pause the value freezes for me.