Movie out top | weird behavior

hi, everyone;

i will start a project on wednesday and am facing some weird troubles to record movies. i am on Catalina macbook pro i9 2018 and TD latest build.

please, if somebody could help, thats kind urgent! :slight_smile:

the system is simple, as below:

• i have 2 inputs of NDI sources in 1920x1080 and recording 2 separate videos on movie out top (MotionJpeg/YUV 4:2:2/16bit-audio), both on 1920x1080.

• TD is at 30 fps.

the problems:

• if i put the flag of realtime off, the video seems to be in slow motion (audio and video). tried in many ways, but with no success.

• with realtime on, the software sometimes has 30fps fixed and sometimes gets down to 20 fps or less. couldnt figure out why! there are times that it opens and works fine for a long time. other times, it opens and has this varying fps. why is that?!
    (same setup and softwares opened on the mac)

• when the software is running well, after some time of recording, 15 to 30 min, it has a sudden drop of the fps. if i stop and record again, it gets it fps back (in case it doesnt start to vary its fps for no reason)

hope you can help me!
best

If you are recording NDI inputs you’ll need to keep Realtime On, since Realtime Off only makes sense for generated content. To playback at the correct time rate as the NDI input Realtime On is needed.
What’s your CPU usage levels like? All of these operations are heavy on the CPU so the most likely culprit is you are running out of resources.

If you are recording NDI inputs you’ll need to keep Realtime On, since Realtime Off only makes sense for generated content.

great to know that! thank you

What’s your CPU usage levels like? All of these operations are heavy on the CPU so the most likely culprit is you are running out of resources.

it`s around 160% on activity monitor.
but the weird stuff is that if i restart the software it continues to record perfectly with 30 fps fixed. and, on the same setups and opened softwares, sometimes it gets very low fps. i cant figure out where it is consuming differently fps as i am doing always the same thing.

even if i record a small video, it is happening the same way.

i think you are right about the heavy usage of CPU for recording, but i dont see thats the focal point here.

below is an example of the project if that helps. thank you!!

NDI_REC_STREAM.toe (19.6 KB)

Did you mean 16% or 160%? If it’s reporting 160% then your CPU is saturated and all bets are off in terms of what will and won’t work. The OS may require some extra time randomly and slow down the TD process.

it is 160% but of 600% (100% represents one core - 600% represents 6 core)
only TD open, with the default project gets 80% of CPU.

so, it is using a total of 26% of CPU usage (160/600).

thats why it is a weird behavior.
the CPU isnt saturated, but the fps gets variable with no logic reason. sometimes it is fixed at 30fps for a long time, and sometimes not. even with small clips recording.

i solved that by sending the video by syphon and using Syphon Recorder. it is very stable, with no drop frames. so, I think it is necessarily a CPU case.

why in touchdesigner it is so different?

Generally TouchDesigner is single threaded, except for some things like movie decoding and loading assets etc. Perhaps the overhead of writing to 2 files at the same time was a bit too much.

Curious, what codec were you recording to?

hi everyone;

got the problem!
VSync was making this varying fps.

with VSync off everything is running fine!
thank you for all help!

best

How did you turn off vsync on macOS? Is there a setting in system preferences?

hi @ben

i didnt do it in my machine, but at perform comp on TD.
didnt understand much why as i am not using an external monitor.
but that did a huge difference!

in fact, I still have the problem if the software is with no clicks / no use (around 20/30 minutes) that the fps gets down. with vsync off it is better for recording and stability. but, by now, i still didnt find the true source for that varying fps.

A_ORBIT_SYPHON_V2.toe (14.0 KB)

i leave an example here below if that helps

it started again to drop fps when videos are recorded. after 5 minutes.
thats something very weird.

because testing in 5 macbook pro, all have the same behavior.

if there is any lights on that, i would appreciate.

here is another .toe with the option to record videos.

ORBIT_MJPEG.toe (18.1 KB)

below is my setup for energy saving (everything off)

and the dropping frames and activity monitor:

FYI the new NDI Studio Monitor allows recording to disk from that app and you can launch multiple instances to record multiple NDI sources.

1 Like

tested here!
very interesting

only the codec SpeedHQ that i never seen before. need to test its quality yet.
thank you for the tip, @flytrap