Hi there, I had some discussion in this forum post but I figured I’d open a new bug since that one was speaking about the experimental build.
The issue I am running into is GPU cook times are much longer in the new build with Vulkan. Specifically with moviefilein and render TOPs.
I’ve uploaded some example files below that I made in the old 16960 build as well as the current 26590 build.
I made a simple network with a renderTOP and a camera. No geometry, no lights. I also put a large noiseTOP to simulate GPU load.
renderCook.16410.toe (3.6 KB)
renderCook.26590.toe (3.8 KB)
In the 16960 build I’m seeing gpu cook times of the render TOP at around 1ms.
In the 26590 build I’m seeing gpu cook times of the render TOP at around 5ms.
If I add a renderpass TOP and connect the render TOP in the old build the render TOP stays at about 1ms and the render pass is also 1ms. With the new build when I add a render pass TOP the render TOP drops to about 1ms and the render pass is around 1.5ms.
In the other thread I linked above @malcolm mentions if my project is actually dropping frames. In this example I don’t believe there are frame drops but in a larger project of mine with a bit more complicated renders I am definitely getting more drops on the new build.
I made a simple network that has a moviefilein TOP. I then have a base comp that’s trailing the cpu and gpu cook times. I also through in a large noise TOP to try and simulate GPU load.
moviefilein-16960-load.toe (4.7 KB)
moviefilein-26590-load.toe (4.9 KB)
In the 16960 build I’m seeing cpu cook times of the moviefilein TOP at around 0.4ms and gpu of 0.3ms.
In the 26590 build I’m seeing cpu cook times of the moviefilein TOP at around 0.1ms and gpu of 1.5ms.
Even though 1.5ms isn’t that long I am seeing much longer times in the wild closer to 5ms and when having multiple movie files coming in it really adds up quick.