Ncam top/chop rotation order

Hey!
We had Ncam install there new cine tracker on our studio and utilizing the chop/topnwas super easy.

The only “gotcha” which would be great if TD could implement this as a default, was the rotation order , so not the actual values but the drop-down “rotation order”, needed to be set to rz ry rx .

Besides that would be great to get more clarity and info on the Ncam TOP and it uses and features!

Thank you and hope this helps someone!

any help here please

Hey,

Sorry I didn’t catch your posting the first time. The rotations are supposed to match the default rx, ry, rz transform order of the Geometry COMP. They are extracted internally from the rotation matrix given by Ncam. Are you saying that you needed to change the Geometry COMP order for it to work, or that you wanted the Ncam to output the rz, ry, rz order?

The Ncam TOP can either apply the distortion map to the given input, or extract various camera images from the Ncam stream depending on what is available.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

1 Like

you mean the CAM comp, right?

i had to change the order for it to work.

it seemed like the ncam top did not have the correct inputs, out of the four, 1 was empty, 1 was a distortion uv but it seemed to be wrong, and the 2 “comp” ones had a wierd color shift that made them un-useble…

they have been bought by ziess a couple months ago, and have a complelty new software, it may be worth having a chat with them to see if anythign has changed.
the engineers taht were with us from ncam didnt seem to know anything about touch…but they assured me it was all sending default data.

were integrating it into our trucks and have the whoel system in touch, so will be able to give some more reprepos in the coming weeks/months.

Sorry, yeah I meant the Camera COMP - same general transform parameters.

I will double check the the top outputs tomorrow using the emulator I have from the SDK. The distortion, film and depth feeds were all working when it was implemented, but possibly something was affected by other updates in Touch like the switch to the Vulkan renderer.

From what I can tell on their website, there has been at least one update to their SDK since our implementation. We’re using version 2.6.24 and they list 2.6.34 on their website. Unfortunately their changelog doesn’t actually say what changed, so I don’t know if this could be causing the effects you’re seeing.

I’d definitely be interested in getting any real world data you can share. We’ve largely been working with the emulator which doesn’t always cover all of the situations you find in the field.

I did some more testing with the emulator today and you’re right, I did need to switch the rotation order to Rz, Ry, Rx to match the cameras. I’m not quite sure why this wasn’t re-ordered originally, but I’ve made a note to look into changing that default when we do further work on this node.

As far as the Ncam TOP: I think the video stream outputs still looks ok to me in the 2023 version based on the screenshot below. What are you seeing?

1 Like

I saw just weird composting, like the video feed was green, it’s possible I missed something…
I don’t have access to a system ATM, but will in the coming weeks.

def keep me posted if you find any more info, and I will do the same.
I have a meeting with there devs in the next two weeks and will see if they have any clarity for me.

I must say after using camera tracking tech for the past 5 years, the new version of Ncam is by far the smoothest, easiest and seemingly most accurate in terms of time spent setting it up, that I have seen.
They have an automatic lens calibration utilizing the actual lens intrinsic data that is encoded into lenses that have a protocol, super killer stuff.

Thanks Rob!

Just to clarify, I was pipeing in AR overlay into the Ncam top…

That’s good to hear about the Ncam system in general. We haven’t had a lot of feedback on it since we added the node a few years ago.

The composite mode is pretty simple and it sounds like you are using it correctly. It basically just works by sampling the input using the distort texture and then overlaying that input on the film feed from Ncam using the input’s alpha (like the Over TOP).