Not a real bug, but maybe a "wrong" shadowing in PBR material, when metalness is on

Hi guys after a long time working with PBR i’ve discovered only in this moment that when the metal is full on (1 value) the render of an example sphere loose totally the back shadow on the object created by a spot light. (in case of mix env lights + spot lights)

This works with the metalness at 0 but disappear encreasing the values…as a consequence the object is always a bit “detached” from the background in some cases with hard shadows on the floor.

Theorically the metal reflection of the shadow on the ground and the self shadow of the object should give back an higher dark contribute on the back. (to achive this result i did a test with an extra buffer added in post using the shadow strength option enable on the secondary buffer, and the result looks more realistic.

Hey, can you post a .toe showing what you are seeing?

1 Like

here a fast example to show what i mean. i’ve wrote some text inside the patch. example back shadow.toe
|attachment
(15.1 KB)

cheers

@malcolm

Hey, thanks for the sample. I don’t think I’m quite getting what the issue is though. Can you highlight what you are seeing that is wrong with a screenshot maybe?

1 Like

i’ve uploaded 2 files in the first the roughness goes to 1 and the direct light shadow is rendered
in the second image i show how the back shadow goes to disappear with reflections (roughness → 0)

cheers.

(p.s. obviously i’ve powered the back shadow effect in the composition way to show better what i mean)

@timgerritsen is it the same problem? (i saw another your post on the bug list)
i’m asking to notify a double post on same topic.

@lucesintetica are you referring to FIXED: 2021.12380: PBR Environment light needs regular light? This seems to be a different problem. What I was referring to was a backwards compatibility issue where PBR materials doesn’t seem to work anymore when only using environmental lights.

cheers,
tim

1 Like

@timgerritsen i’ve notified this in back shadows… maybe i simply not verified on simple lights.

do u have tried to set very big (50 or more) the value of comp light if the pbr is enabled?

anyway …for shadow or light something is not working correctly.

Offhand this seems correct to me. A super smooth metal in a brightly light environment is going to show most of it’s lighting from the environment, and only the specular highlight would be seen from the spotlight hitting it. When you turn up the roughness you’ll be seeing more of the diffuse lighting coming off the surface, which will make the environment light not so dominant. The contribution from the spot light will be more visible since it’ll be showing more of it’s diffuse coloring across the surface vs just the specular highlight.

You’ll also notice it’s not really a ‘shadow’ issue, as the same behavior occurs when you turn off shadows. It’s just that that side of the sphere isn’t getting hit by the spotlight.