NotchLC bit depth

It is my understanding that NotchLC has one bit depth setting: 10bits. When recording and outputting NotchLC from touch, the movie file in says 8bits.

Seeing how 10bit isn’t a pixel format that TD natively supports, what’s going on with those extra 2 bits? are they truncated, or is the file actually 10bit under the hood? What can be done, if anything with that extra information? I was hoping I could store some amount of informatino outside of 0-1 RGBA in the file, either negative values or something encoded above 1… is this possible?

TD natively supports 10-bit pixels, the RGB10 Alpha 2 format available to be used in all TOPs. If you encode NotchLC with a higher bit depth as the source that extra information will be included in the encoding (truncated to 10-bits). When playing only RGB encoded content the Movie File In TOP will by default use RGB10 as it’s pixel format. However since there is no such thing as 10-bit RBGA, the next level would be 16-bit. We don’t switch to that by default if the video is RGBA since that’s 2x as much memory for the TOP pipeline, and it’s possible you don’t care about the extra bits in that case. If you want to switch to 16-bit fixed you can, and you’ll get your 10-bit data in there.

10-bit data is still limited to 0-1 though, it’s 10-bit fixed, not floating point. NotchLC does not encode floating point data.

1 Like