Other software you use with TD?

Digging through the forums I came across ModernCSV. I’ve been using Excel for decades and I still will/do but for quick table editing ModernCSV is amazing.

I was wondering if there is any other 3rd party software anyone would recommended?

I am not concerned with things like TouchOSC or NDI or the like, but more like Sublime text editor and ModernCSV for tables and Nomacs for quick image viewing, etc. Basic tools that help you move on down the road but aren’t the focus of the project itself. I hope that makes sense…

Thanks!!

That’s why I said “I hope this makes sense” because its a narrow ask. “Basic tools that help you move on down the road but aren’t the focus of the project itself.”

I am not looking for things like Max/MSP or Ableton. Those are high level tools and apps I would integrate into a performance. That’s not what I am looking for.

ModernCSV is not an app you would use in a performance, rather its a basic low level tool to help you get down the road. Ableton is not a low level tool. Max/MSP is definitely not a low level tool (I love that one). Notch is another very high level tool like D3 or WatchOUT or Modulo Pie Kinetic.

Anything you would use to perform with Touch is -not- what I am looking for.

Images and video editors are a bit different… sure Photoshop and After Effects are already in my toolbox but often times I don’t want to touch Adobe crap and I’ll use Affinity or Nomacs alternatives. Its those alternates I am looking for.

ModernCSV, NotePad++, Sublime, Nomacs are the best examples I can think to explain what I am looking for. Lightweight and powerful tools that pretty much do one thing and do it vey well. I don’t need Excel for editing tables for Touch. I don’t need Word for editing text for Touch. I don’t need Photoshop to batch crop a bunch of photos.

ModernCSV is one of the coolest low level tools I’ve found in a while and since I found it here on the forums I decided to see if anyone else had any neat toys to share.

After having been a paying Sublime user for many years, last year I converted to Visual Studio Code for all my TD code editing. The amount of available plugins and features being pumped out per month was just to good. It look me a while to get used to the slow startup time compared to Sublime, but these days I just have it running always, so I don’t notice it anymore.
Furthermore for all our TD projects I’m very happy with GitKraken, as it is insanely good in showing me what is happening in the repo and what my team members are doing, and it enables me to use multiple profiles for many git repositories and integrates with everything.
And of course Discord to keep in realtime-sync with the TD community :wink:

GItKraken that’s a new one for me, and one amazing name for several reasons. The visual treatment is very nice. Pretty sure this is going right into my workflow. Thank you for that one!

I had the same experience with Sublime. I still have Sublime installed but VSCode has taken over.

I get a lot of use out of an app called PureRef. Maybe someone will read this and find it useful as well.

when using VSC for your TD Extensions and/or GLSL code, plugins like GitLens are amazingly powerful to see who wrote what lines when, helped me out many times while working with a team on a many months long project.
Also whenever you’re in a pinch on a random machine without Photoshop installed, just open your browser to https://www.photopea.com/ which is a fully compatible Photoshop clone coded by a single guy, all running in your browser on your local machine, so your media does not get uploaded to a cloud(!).

Photopea - thank you for that. Had not seen that one. Very handy. Cloud based editors have never appealed to me.

GitLens - like GitKraken, very cool. I’ll have to take a dive into it to see how it fits my work flow but thank you for the suggestion. Anything that makes the roadmap from concept to completion a bit easier to manage is fantastic.

Maybe this one is obvious but I have been using Trello several times and have just began using Miro.

I use Trello as to do list for medium & complex projects.
Miro for visual storyboarding, creative remote collaborations, brainstorming ideas etc…

I have also been asked to use Slack occasionally but it never seems to really take off for some reasons, although I know of studios and companies that use Slack as their primary comms platform.

Universal Control Remapper for intercepting specific devices via HID and replacing its keypresses with stuff like MIDI, non-keyboard events, different keyboard inputs, mouse inputs, etc

Bvckup 2 for moving files automatically from non-cloud to cloud folder to avoid in-use locked file issues.

Logitech G HUB for per-application mouse mapping. Specifically I assign buttons 6 and 7 to I and U for TouchDesigner network up/down, and button 8 to H for TouchDesigner ‘Home all’.

https://www.artbreeder.com/ for brain massage and asset generation.

Noise generator for blocking out the riff raff

Universal Control Remapper - this looks useful. Maybe not as powerful as something like PureData but looks a lot more user friendly with quick access to just the parts you’d need/want for controller remapping.

Bvckup2 - interesting, I’ll have to look at this more.

ArtBreeder - ok, brain melting a bit. this one is going to be fun.

noise generator - handy for those times I’m away from the hardware or the audio department didn’t bring all their toys.

Thank you for all these.

Trello I am not sure I would use. I am usually at the mercy of clients for those kinds of things and I end up using a lot of platforms I don’t particularly enjoy but Miro I can see uses for even if the client isn’t on board.

Thanks for these.

The Gitkraken client looks amazing. But does that mean you’ve adopted a workflow that allows text based or granular TouchDesigner elements, or is this for other projects?

@bwheaton yes I use it for larger TouchDesigner projects, and always when a team is working on a TD project. And indeed we created a workflow for that: externalize all code files, strict style guide, strictly modularize your networks, keyboard shortcuts to save current parent tox (only allow if you are the assigned user for that tox), etc.
Several years ago at the TD Summit in Berlin I gave a workshop on this topic: Teamwork & Version Control a Git Workflow for TouchDesigner - Idzard Kwadijk - YouTube
which has some useful pointers on how to set this up.