Pangolin CHOP black frame

I have a simple patch with Circle SOP and Pangolin CHOP.

I noticed some oddities:

1. When changing the FPS of the project, the Sample Rate Pangolin CHOP does not change, although the sample length changes

2. The first frame of the sample has no color and I get a blank spot on the laser beam

TD 2022.32120, Pangolin Essentials 5.1.1598

The sample rate bug will be fixed in the next official build we release, 2022.32650+. Sample length is determined by the number of points/samples of the input, so it makes sense that that would still change.

The first sample is zero to indicate to BEYOND the start of a new shape so that it can do any blanking on its side if necessary. Do you see the blank spot only on the laser or do you see it in BEYOND’s viewer as well?

In the visualization of Pangolin badly notice that there is an empty point. But a point with greater intensity is noticeable. Below are some pictures of the tests.

The last picture is a solution to a special case. But in this case the mechanical part of the laser will stop thereby heating its elements

I’ll reach out to our contact at Pangolin about the issue. What version and build number of BEYOND are you using?

Tested on

TD 2022.32120, Pangolin Essentials 5.1.1598
and 5.1.1573

Also

In Beta version 5.2 Pangolin CHOP does not work at all. Error - Beyond application is not running

Hi!

This is Alexey Sinitsyn, BEYOND software developer from Pangolin. The circle from Pangolin test most possibly has several turns. That is why you do not see a gap. When you do single turn circle, there is connection place, which looks like a gap. I dont see problem in TD, at least when it comes to topic of slicing. The typical solution is to do multi-turn circle, or add overlap points. You can see it in many test patterns, just take a close look at point placement in frame editor of BEYOND.

Hopefully, time will allow to work on “continuous output mode” which will solve problem of circle. However, it may have negative consequences too, but this is sort of deep area.

If you have any questions - dont hesitate contact Pangolin Support team, we always glad to help.

Alexey,

I did some more research. As I think I figured out what the burning point was. It is a blanking point with maximum color output. These two dots are added at the beginning and the end. In the node viewer, we don’t see them on the graph. I made color corrections at the beginning and the end to remove them.
It would also be great to add functionality to the node for the beginning and the end of the sample - soft line endings

pangolinCHOP.toe (4.6 KB)

We don’t add any additional points beyond what you see in the viewer, so I’m not sure where that bright point could be coming from. Does that only occur when Vector Frame is enabled?

In Beta version 5.2 Pangolin CHOP does not work at all. Error - Beyond application is not running

This should be fixed with the next version of BEYOND 5.2.

This happens both when Vertor frame is on and when it is off

Soft blanking features could be a nice addition to the Pangolin CHOP, but I do first wonder if it’s possible to use any soft-blanking features (or anything else that might solve the problem) in BEYOND on the incoming TouchDesigner frame.