Passing realtime audio from mixer to touchdesigner

Hi all, this might be a newbie question, but I scouted the web for an answer and didn’t find many useful informations.

What i’m trying to do is a classic: I want a dj to play live while my visuals react to the music. I don’t want to use a microphone for this because of the obvious delay this would cause, so I’m trying to use the Audio Device In Chop. I basically want to connect my laptop to the DJ Pioneer to get audio data directly from there. Is this a viable workflow or I’m missing something?

Do I need specific equipment other than and audio in port in my laptop?

Thank you and sorry for the noob question!

Hi @wingedguar ,

Your lowest latency will come from using a soundcard with ASIO drivers (and the Audio Device In CHOP), and turning the buffer size as low as your computer will support without starting to ‘click’ and drop out.

You can’t grab audio data directly from the cdj, however, you can use something like ProDjLink (https://www.prodjlink.com/) to communicate over ethernet to the CDJs and generate timecode data and grab track information. This way you can do visual/lighting sequences to specific tracks if you are collaborating with a specific dj on tour.

You can get lower latency for AV performances by running the audio and visuals on the same machine, and using a local audio loopback driver to internally route audio from your audio program into touch, but this is a bit niche.

Thank you, this was very helpful!

1 Like