Performance Issues with MacOS

I’m running an iMac from late 2015 with an i7 24 GB of RAM and an Radeon R9 M390 on Monterey. When I work with Touchdesigner I am getting reasonable performance. But when I start dropping frames in Touchdesigner and I take a look at CPU and GPU Usage I see, that they are both not even close to full usage. Therefor my question is, if there is some kind of optimization that can be done in MacOS to get more performance out of it.

First you need to determine if you are bottlenecked by CPU or GPU. There is an article here discussing the topic Optimize - Derivative
Usually the GPU load will be due to TOPs, where as CPUs can quickly be loaded by cooking SOPs, and to a lesser extend from CHOPs and DATs.

Note that TouchDesigner primarily runs in a single thread and thus will fully use 1 CPU core and not all of them (some sub-tasks things like file opening, movie decoding can use other CPU threads). One thing that can be confusing is macOS often displays CPU% usage as all cores together so it might look like 15% if the usage is summed between all cores. If you use a program like istatPro where you can view all core usages separately, you should see 1 CPU core at 100% if you are dropping frames due to CPU.

Not sure if this should be a new post (my first post), it is about Performance issues with MacOS, but a different setup. I’m using a new Mac mini M1 with Touchdesigner, upgrading from 2012 Mac minis that are barely up to the task, but work. However, when I launch Touchdesigner, the default patch loads, but runs at about 7 to 9 fps. If I delete the SOP, it immediately boost up to 60 fps. When I inquire about the info, I don’t see that the programme is running through Rosetta (a possible problem?). I have installed Rosetta 2, but I don’t not have the option to check use Rosetta in the info box. Any suggestions? thanks.

@Insertio Can you share your file. A single SOP can bring frame rate down quickly if its doing something heavy. Can you mention the build number in your report?
It will be running in Rosetta2 if it’s currently running on M1/Apple Silicon.