Point Cloud to SOP

Is there a way to convert Point Cloud (kinect) to SOP (to .obj or .fbx format)?

Or recorded .exr files to SOP

Hey, did you find a solution?

Hey @greslau,

Pointclouds are brought into TouchDesigner as textures (TOPs) so to move them into SOP world, first use a TOP to CHOP as described in the “point cloud” example of the TOP to CHOP OP Snippet’s.
Once in CHOPs, use a CHOP to SOP to convert the whole thing into geometry. You can follow this with a Add SOP which allows for deleting all geometry but keep the points.

Cheers
Markus

1 Like

Hey Markus, thanks for a very prompt response!

I followed your suggestion however the output of Chop To SOP looks drastically different than the input point cloud - see attached picture.

I did swap the channel scope in the Chop to SOP from tx ty tz to x y z, to reflect RGB channels in the original TOP.

Is ther any other operation I would have to do?

Hi @greslau,

from the number of samples in the TOP to CHOP it looks like you didn’t change the Crop page parameters - it looks like it only crops a row instead of the full image?
Another parameter to change is the “Output as Single Channel Set” to prevent every row creating it’s own channel. As a safety precaution also using “Exclude NaNs” can be useful.

To see only parameters that have changed, it can be useful to click the “bullseye” button in the parameter dialog.

cheers
Markus

1 Like