Point File In TOP bug with .ply file

First of all, thanks to user tim.gerritsen for helping me on discord to fix the issue and suggesting to make this topic.

I downloaded a .ply file from here. As I tried to load model.ply with pointfilein TOP, nothing was coming out, as if every value was 0. tim.gerritsen noticed that some lines had a weird value (-2147483648) in the “green” column. Changing these to 255 fixed the file and I was able to load it normally.

The problem was with the file, but maybe it would be useful for it to display some kind of error and ignore these kind of values. I had no idea what was going on.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I will check it out and see if there’s anything we can do to make the issue more transparent.

1 Like

I just wanted to follow up to let you know that we have made some improvements to the error messages when loading PLY files that will appear in our upcoming builds. The new versions will now mention the vertex number and property that caused the problem e.g. “error loading ‘green’ property of vertex 353”

For reference, the specific problem in your case was that the color channels are defined as ‘uchar’ type which only allows numbers from 0 to 255, so those -2147483648 values were outside of the valid bounds.

1 Like