Publish Subscribe schemes?

I bought that book Pragmatic Programmer and like the concept of publish/subscribe described there to handle asynchronous processes pushing and pulling data from a common database type thing. But I don’t know Python yet and am wondering if there is some simple way to achieve something like that in touch designer without scripting. For example, I would like to use many different controllers, some MIDI, some iPad touchOSC and have them all work independently in my program if I swap from one to another to push data to something like a table DAT or similar structure set up with control variables, then pull that data quickly out to any tox programs running asynchronously. (see attached)

controller_in.tox (2.0 KB)

Q1: Are there any simple tutorials on methods like this that don’t need a lot of scripting?

Q2: Or should I stick with routing all control data around with OSC?

Q3: In my little example tox I just want to use sliders s1-s5 and toggles 1-4 etc in many different internal programs I can switch between. Best methods for sharing common interface to such data?

many thanks for any hints.

I think part of what you’re describing is now partially handled by the new parameter mode called “bindings.”

There’s an overview here of what those look like:

There’s also a new bind CHOP in the experimental build that helps handle how you push values back to controllers.

More on the wiki here:

I don’t know if this totally gets you where you’re headed, but the notion of a mode view controller framework is part of what’s behind binding. Binding is a whole heck of a lot easier to to use for this kind of work than the scripting it used to take to get there - so I might at least start there to see if it can help you get your footing.

Thanks again Matthew - I will check it out. I guess the DAT table approach is not a good approach to this…