RealSense D435i TOP error

RealSense D435i camera will not connect to TouchDesigner with RealSense TOP.

“Error: Failed to initialize the RealSense Cross Platform API.”

Elburz troubleshooted with me and recommended I submit a bug.

I have downloaded the RealSense SDK v2.34.0 and updated the firmware and am able to get the camera to work in the RealSense Viewer app, but it will not connect inside TouchDesigner when dropping in a RealSense TOP.

I have also downloaded the prior RealSense SDK v2.31.0 and updated the firmware and am able to get the camera to work in the RealSense Viewer app, but it will still not connect inside TouchDesigner when dropping in a RealSense TOP.

Windows 10 v1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
TouchDesigner v2020.23680

v2.31.0 is the version we are currently compiled against, so that should be the best firmware to use (although in theory newer ones should be fine too).
If you bring up the text console by setting a windows environment variable to TOUCH_TEXT_CONSOLE = 1, what is printed in there when you drop down the RealSense TOP?

Can you please advise on how to set the variable and value as I am not familiar with the process? I have reached the Environment Variables window within the control panel and attempted to add “TOUCH_TEXT_CONSOLE” as a new Variable in the first column and made the Value “1” in the second column, but nothing showed up when opening TouchDesigner or when dropping down the RealSense TOP. I am not sure if this is the correct way to create and set a variable or what I should be expecting to appear in TouchDesigner after the variable has been made.

This works for me.

There should be a black console window that shows up behind TouchDesigner that prints out error message. You’ll just have to alt-tab to it. You may need to reboot your machine after setting the environment variable, depending on how you launch TD.

When I drop the realsense TOP in and switch the Model parameter to D435i I get the following message in the console:

“Couldn’t resolve requests”
“Couldn’t resolve requests”

Unfortunately that’s an internal error from the RealSense library. I assume it’s a hardware issue somehow. Since it works in the SDK viewer it is strange that it’s failing, but very hard to diagnose from here.