Remapping 2d texture to normal map

This might be a silly question, but how would you remap a noise texture given below to normal map (black background should just be transparent)?

you can use a normal TOP, and then set the alpha channel (and multi it with rgb) to get transparent normal map:

Maybe I didn’t make it clear but making normal map transparent is not an issue.

An issue is mapping a texture (in this case - a noise texture) onto generated normals (so the texture warps based on surface XYZ values). Normals were generated from RayTK asset by Tekt, meaning that they do not have traditional geometry assigned to them and I can’t go around by simply applying Phong MAT and using it’s height / bump maps as usual.

I assume this could be done in GLSL but having limited knowledge of that I was trying to do this using regular OPs but it didn’t work.

Well, there are a couple ways you could move the pixels of the noise texture around using the normals, you could use a displace TOP, or a lookup TOP - I haven’t used RayTK yet, but what are you trying to achieve more generally?

Sorry for late reply. Also, RayTK is not important here, mentioned it simply as an origin of normal texture.

So if wanted to apply noise texture as a normal map onto a TD geometry, I would create PhongMAT and apply that to said geometry, while having given noise texture as a normal map on PhongMAT.

How would you do the same without having a TD geometry but having it’s normal map which basically defines the geometry? How can I “wrap” noise texture around a shape that is defined by normal map?

Are you talking about creating tessellated / displaced geometry via the x/y/z vector in the normal map?
Or are you talking about using the object’s world space position to drive the noise’s coordinates?

To render anything, even a TOP, you need at least a single quad rendered with uvs, that then provides the barebones to do texture lookups on the gpu and all that.

Now, a flat rectangle for instance (if sufficiently subdivided) can be displaced along it’s normal given a grayscale image, and even displaced in varying directions given a normal map if you write a custom vertex shader giving you 3d geometry on the gpu.

However whether it’s a td SOP, or dynamically generated/displaced on GPU, that’s a must have for any further normal mapping or texture mapping etc.

You can of course generate geometry with SDF rendering techniques, but I don’t know if that’s what you’re getting at.