RESOLVED: Mouse In CHOP reporting incorrect resolution

2019.33840, Win 10.

the Mouse in CHOP is incorrectly reporting the width and height of my 4k monitor. I have my monitor’s resolution set to 4k, scaling to 150%. Mouse in CHOP is reporting about 2559 in X and 1417 in Y max.

Yet the screengrab TOP and sysinfo python class correctly reports my monitor’s resolution.

On a minor note, is there anyway to make the Mouse in CHOP to be more sensitive and accurate? Right now, when I move my mouse to the edges of my screen, the number it is reporting fluctuates within 10 pixels. I even jacked the sample rate up to 240. I tried to force a cook via Python on the mouse in CHOP, thinking it might attempt another position grab. But when I run the command, it resets x to 0 and y to -8? No matter where my mouse is actually positioned.

Thank you.

Da.

The Mouse In CHOP will take into account the scaling, so 2650 and 1440 are correct. We could add an RFE to have ‘Native’ pixels reported, but currently is uses scaling at the is what Windows “thinks” the resolution is.

You might want to try Find_Mouse on chopchopchop.org, I really like this tool because it tracks mouse position also outside the bounds of TouchDesigner window. It uses some python for this but it works great.
FindMouse CHOP by Idz Ard - ChopChopChop

Sup Ben :smiley:

A few issues here:

I came up on this “bug” when I was trying to create a color picker. I wanted to use the screen grab TOP to get a capture of all my desktops and then use the mouse CHOP to grab a pixel for color.

1. I understand mouse chop takes into account the scaling, however, the screengrab TOP doesn’t. If you switch the units for the crop to pixels, it will display un-scaled sizes. I think that’s a big disconnect between different ops that work with the desktop. If this is an issue for RFE, then I am more than happy to file one there.

2. The Mouse CHOP is still some what broken though. The Monitor channel output does not output the correct monitor. When I set it to display this info, and when I move my mouse to a different monitor, this value does not update. According to the documentation, it should. I have 3 monitors setup in the following order and resolutions, from left to right, 1080p 4k(150% scale) 1080p. I am not sure if that would make any difference though.

3. This last one is more of a question, given what I am trying to do, and I would prefer to use only TD ops, is there a solution? Because as far as I can tell, there isn’t anything to tell me about different monitor resolutions and their scaling properties, so, that I can scale everything accordingly.

Thank you.

Da.

1. The RFE is already created
  2. Not sure what you mean as the Mouse CHOP only works over the TouchDesigner window, it will not go to other monitors outside the TouchDesigner Window. This is why I suggested you use the Find_Mouse from chopchopchop
  3. You should use the Monitors DAT for all things monitors, it includes resolution and scaling data. Also, I would personally use Find_Mouse, not the Mouse In CHOP for your scenario.

Awesome! Thank you, Ben!

Learned something new. I didn’t even realize Monitor dat existed. Thought it was for monitoring something, not for actual monitors :smiley:

I didn’t realize the Mouse In’s Monitor channel only works for monitors where the TD window is occupying. I stretched my TD network window to my second monitor, and it’s not reporting the correct info. Maybe add this as a side note in the documentation?

Thank you again. I will give Find Mouse a shot.

Da.