RESOLVED: Touchdesigner won't run, Error when reinstalling, Key Retrieval Error

Hello.

After the last windows update, I cannot run Touchdesigner anymore.
Has anyone had similar issue, and does anyone know how to fix it?

I began when starting Touchdesigner, with this error:
Capture2

I tried all fixes, that this link suggested, but with no luck:

I uninstalled all versions of Touchdesigner that I had.
I tried to installing again, but I get this error:
Capture

I tried uninstalling again using revouninstaller, to cleanup all leftover files, and tried to install again, but with no luck. Installer gives warning:
Capture

Then proceeds to install TD, after the installation is complete I get Error:
Capture2

Are there any additional steps that I can try?
Thank you.

1 Like

I managed to get it working.

Using this guide:
https://www.blesk.ca/rebuild-the-wmi-repository/

This part to be exact:

To perform a rebuild of the WMI repository, please do the following:

  1. Disable and stop the winmgmt service
    !!! (CAUTION) On number two - don’t remove the wbem folder, make a copy of the folder and rename it. I used “wbembu”.
  2. Remove or rename C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository
  3. Enable and start the winmgmt service
  4. Open Command Prompt as Administrator
  5. Run the following commands:

cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\ for /f %s in (‘dir /b *.mof’) do mofcomp %s
NOTE: This will take a minute or so to complete.
for /f %s in (‘dir /b en-us*.mfl’) do mofcomp en-us%s

Open Performance Monitor to verify that all counters can be loaded.

After that I could finally launch TD.

1 Like

Please let us know if any unusual behavior arises.
Thanks for sharing.

This also worked for me on a Win10 Enterprise Dell E6540 laptop - but to clarify:

the instructions you referenced say to rename C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository\ and not C:\Windows\System32\wbem\

I renamed \repository\ and it worked. Thanks for your post! I lost a box 16 hours before an exhibit was to open, due to this error - which for me was caused by the accidental Win10 update(s) KB5004331 or 5011543 or ServicingStack 10.0.19041.1704 (they all updated together and won’t uninstall).

Just a report that I ran into this after updating to Windows 10 22H2 as well.

I followed the directions above minus the last command

This part to be exact:

To perform a rebuild of the WMI repository, please do the following:

  1. Disable and stop the winmgmt service
    !!! (CAUTION) On number two - don’t remove the wbem folder, make a copy of the folder and rename it. I used “wbembu”.
  2. Remove or rename C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository
  3. Enable and start the winmgmt service
  4. Open Command Prompt as Administrator
  5. Run the following commands:

cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\ for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s

And this solved it for me. Note that the quotes in (‘dir /b *.mof’) were converted to smart quotes somewhere along the way and I had to replace them with proper single quotes for the command to work.

Hope this can help others.

5 Likes

I just had this problem, and your solution worked, however, I only needed to run step 5

1 Like

I have just had this problem after hard restarting a Win 10 computer. Don’t think any updates have been installed.
I’ve tried the following steps before attempting to rebuild the repository:

winmgmt /verifyrepository (it was consistent)
winmgmt /salvagerepository (it was also reported as consistent)
winmgmt /resetrepository (it’s been reported as reset)

These steps did not help.

I rebuilt the repository with steps indicated in the solution by Ben. Those are my notes:

  1. I couldn’t just stop the winmgmt service I first had to pause it. I then also disabled it through Services app.
  2. I copied wbem folder to another location to have a backup
  3. I renamed the repository folder (note it will not let you rename the folder if winmngmt service is running)
  4. I only ran cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\ for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s command as proposed in Ben’s solution

After that TD was starting again. Thank you all for this topic.

1 Like

I too just ran into this problem. For some reason step 5 was throwing an error for me (“The system cannot find the path specified.”), but I just broke it up into two lines and it worked:

  1. cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\
  2. for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
1 Like

Is anyone still having this error? I’ve tried a bunch of variations of the solutions in this thread and am still not making any progress. The big clue I have is whenever I run mofcomp I get this error

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>mofcomp wsp_sr.mof
Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 10.0.19041.3758
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: wsp_sr.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on lines 5 - 13:
Error Number: 0x80040154, Facility: Interface
Description: Class not registered
Compiler returned error 0x80040154

This is happening on all the files in the directory so the repository isn’t getting properly made. I’m kind of at a loss.