Slow network debug

Hello,
As I’m developing my TD network the frame rate goes lower and lower, now it is just around 10fps that I believe is too slow… I wonder if anyone can give me any tips on how to debug the network, see what components are slowing it down and etc.
I’m doing all the drawing in the glsl shader, having a few textures that I’m feeding into it and controlling everything with TouchOSC controller that I made. I’m doing quite a lot of calculations with the values that I’m passing from the controller before sending them to glsl as vectors. It is mainly just MATH chops but occasionally some LFOs and SPEED that I’m trying to switch them on only when they are in use…
I thought it would be faster to do those calculations before passing them to GLSL instead of doing it there but maybe I’m wrong?
Also I just read that Python references can slow down the network (Python Optimization in TouchDesigner - The Interactive & Immersive HQ) I’m passing all the values to glsl as ‘CHOP reference’ - would it be any faster if I do ‘export CHOP’ instead? Or is it more or less the same? I have 2 glsl’s with about 50 vectors so maybe it is struggling to find all those operators?

Any tips and links would be very appreciated
Thanks
Dina

One common thing that can eat into render time is the operator viewers being turned on. TouchDesigner has to draw large graphs and that can cause slow downs.

Try using the performance monitor in the Dialogs menu. You can click the analyze button in the lower left. This will measure the timing in each operator and can help you find the really heavy operations. Try to figure out another way to do the ones that are taking too long.

Another tool that’s useful is to use is probe in the palette browser. It will give you a mini-map of the heavy operations in your network.

1 Like