• Create Constant MAT
  • Drag Constant MAT to Geometry
  • Select ‘Parm: Material’

Expected behavior
Material parameter would be set with MAT

Actual behavior
Vulkan Device Error crash

Notes

• If the MAT is assigned by selecting the Render tab under the Geometry properties and dragging that MAT directly to the field, the crash does not occur.
  • These steps are only sufficient to repro about 90% of the time in my experience. However, the times that it does not crash, repeating the last two steps (drag, select ‘Parm: Material’) one more time will produce the bug on my machine.
  • The bug is more likely to repro after the Touch instance has been running for maybe a minute.
  • This works with non-Torus SOPs. I also repro’d with the Box, but I had the repeat the last two steps 4-5 times to make it crash unless the Touch instance had already been running for a minute or two.
  • This works wiith non-Constant SOPs. It was originally produced with a PBR Material.

System info
Laptop
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
System Model GS65 Stealth 9SE
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Display adapters
Name Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I’m starting to think that this is just a symptom of a wider problem with this version of Touch on my system, though it could all be separate issues. Other bugs I’m running into:

• Vulkan crash when dragging CHOP value to a field and choosing either CHOP Reference or Export CHOP from the dropdown that appears. (Manually entering a CHOP Reference works fine.)
  • Vulkan crash when closing new Touch windows spawned by e.g. the OP right-click View… for something that’s cooking every frame. (I can View… and close the moviefilein1 of the jelly beans in the default project as much as I like, but it crashes the first time I try to close the viewer for the noise1 or the chopto1 in the default project.)

Please let me know if you’d like me to file individual bugs for these or if you can think of related actions that you’d like me to try.

I am a big silly. It is, in fact, something to do with the display adapters. In order to get things working correctly, I have go to my Graphics settings and make sure that Windows always launches TouchDesigner in high performance mode so that it uses my beefy video card, not the low-end built-in whatnots. Once I do that, all of the above works. Such a relief.