Some basic UI tweaks/features that would help with small screens and laptops

I guess this is a bit of a loaded topic, I’m aware in general the UI design is on the priority list of the derivative team so I won’t bother suggesting any massive changes here. But there’s two small ones that would be quick and easy wins, that would help a ton for laptop users and people on small screens.

In green I’ve highlighted the parameter window. Quite often this thing takes up a ton of space, without actually containing all that much (sure it can sometimes be filled up, but a lot of times you end up looking at a large grey rectangle).

Just adding a slight bit of transparency here would help to make it easier to know whats going on in the part of the network that its covering. Along with a toggle button that essentially does the same as P on the keyboard but leaves a visible button that can be quickly used to hide/unhide the menu for a minute would be amazing.

The other one I’ve highlighted is the time playback area. Most of the time you don’t need the information that is there, I hardly interact with it, if so, its to toggle play pause, which is easier using the spacebar anyway. Providing the option to toggle to visibility of this component would save up a lot of space too.

Its easy to get into a rabbit hole with this and think about all the other things that could be done, but I just wanted to point out two things that are simple to implement and don’t affect the general paradigm.

2 Likes

I agree completely with @mickeyvanolst that the timeline could be either totally reworked or, at the very least, made toggle-able.

As for parameters, it would be stellar if that panel adapted automatically to the height of the currently viewed page; my guess is that this is not so straightforward on the back-end, hence why it takes up the vertical space it does. But at least it’s a toggle-able panel… so hey, no complaints there… :smirk:

1 Like

Yeah, all on the short list for the UI overhaul!

3 Likes