TD can't touch its .toes

TD starts normally and can open .toe files if I double-click as normal.
However, if I try to load another file, then my systems hangs and I need to force restart.
Reinstalled today using the web installer and still have the issue.

Some machine info as well.
Screenshot 2024-03-19 150725

1 Like

As a first step, make sure that all your drivers, including integrated graphic drivers, are up to date and that your machine is free of bloatware.

The Bulk Crap Uninstaller helps in identifying unwanted or unneeded software: https://www.bcuninstaller.com/

Find the latest driver for your GPU at Official Drivers | NVIDIA
or use Nvidia Geforce Experience Update Drivers & Optimal Playable Settings

You can also make sure that your integrated GPU is running on the latest version available via Intel Driver Assistant.

You can use the AMD Adrenalin if you have an AMD Integrated GPU, in minimal install mode, via https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/software

:zap::zap::zap: If your machine comes with a proprietary power management software (From Asus, Dell / Alienware… etc), make sure that it’s setup properly to run TouchDesigner on the Nvidia / AMD DEDICATED GPU when plugged to power. Otherwise, it’s likely that TouchDesigner would run on the integrated graphics, hence it is important to also make sure your integrated graphics are up to date.

Thanks. I updated my NVIDIA drivers and windows, then uninstalled a bunch of things, but the issue remained. I went for the low-yield nuclear option and reset windows (ie restoring to factory-standard software and retaining my files); it seems to be working so far, in that previously problematic files are now usable.

So, issue fixed, cheers. It isn’t ideal that the entire system could lock up if a driver is out of date, what would actually lead to that outcome? What’s the issue with it potentially running on the integrated graphics chip?

It isn’t ideal that the entire system could lock up if a driver is out of date, what would actually lead to that outcome?

Any software can be affected by driver updates. You often see new drivers releasing when a big video game is releasing. It’s often to accommodate for new features, or bugs found during development. It’s the same on our end. They are sometimes driver bugs that specific feature of TouchDesigner hit. Sometimes it’s a the system level as a whole and unrelated to TouchDesigner, triggered by some other software… etc. Difficult to tell.

What’s the issue with it potentially running on the integrated graphics chip?

Loss of performance overall versus your dedicated GPU, sometimes lack of features as well, and often drivers that are not updated as regularly by the machine OEM tools / users…