TDAbleton and TouchDesigner in Two Computers via LogMeIn Hamachi

Greetings everyone!

I am trying to set up a connection between Ableton and Touchdesigner via Hamachi, but I don’t get it to work. I managed to connect both computers correctly (verified by sending pings to each other and by diagnosing them and everything seems ok) but I don’t understand which ports to insert in either TD or Ableton’s TDALevels. I have tried using the IPv4 from Hamachi with no result, or using the IP from just googling ‘what’s my ip?’. It seems really trivial but the Help page from TDAbleton doesn’t have much information in terms of a 2 computer setup.

Thank you in advance!

The IP address of the remote Ableton computer should show up in the TDA Master device on the master track. That address along with the ports listed go in the corresponding parameters in the tdAbleton master component parameters.

I have seen lots of issues with firewalls as well. Turn them off on both computers, at least for testing.

Another useful trick is to open the textport and pulse the Ping parameter on the tdAbleton component. This is the most raw possible communication between TouchDesigner and Ableton.

Thank you very much for your response.

I have completely disabled both firewalls (Windows and Malwarebytes), and checked the ports being used with no result sadly. I put the IP from the TDAbleton master track to the tdAbleton component, and pinged with no result. The Max port and the other ports seem to be the same on both computers. Is there anything missing that I could check? If not, is there any other easy alternative to connect both computers? They are physically close to each other, but the laptop is a quite ‘limited’ in terms of in and outs, that why I was looking for something wireless: it has HDMI, 2 USB ports, and SS small usb C, just in case something physical with a cable could work.

Thank you in advance!

Two more things to try:
Changing the ports to other numbers.
Rebooting both computers.

@Tsokuma You need to be able to ping from computer A to computer B before worrying about connecting TDAbleton. Get pinging working before opening TouchDesigner. This can be done from Windows Command Terminal (cmd) or macOS Terminal. Once you get that working, TD and TDAbleton should start working.

Thank you all for the reply. I succesfully pinged using hamachi both ways into each other. The problem that I see is that, in the TDA Master plug in for Ableton, the external IP that shows up is 0.0.0.1 which I think is referred to ‘local’. I can change Max port, or Broadcast port, but not the IP one that I think I should be using (the one on the left of the plugin screen).

That sounds like Max For Live is not recognizing the network for some reason. That said, TDA Master is just trying to report its IP address but might still work if you can figure out what the correct IP is. Have you tried doing an ipconfig on the Live computer and setting tdAbleton to go to the reported address?

I had the same issue connecting at first and it just clicked lol. If you’re trying to connect over wifi and it’s not working, you gotta use the IPv4, otherwise it’ll try to connect locally.

Make sure you do the following steps:

First in Ableton, on the master track:

1. Set-up your TDA_Master.amxd to “Broadcast: On”
    You should then see the following info right under:
    Port” “Out Adress” “Out Port”.
    Mine are: 558811, 127.0.0.1 and 8888 respectively.

2. Make sure both computer are connected to the same Wifi and/or same router, or again, via LAN.

3. Move over to TouchDesigner, in the parameter window of you parent: tdAbletonPackage, you will see the parameter: Ableton IP Adress. You can change this parameter inside the parent in the parameter window of the first child, by default named: tdAbleton.

Important Note: By default, the IP is the same on both computer, in my case 127.0.0.1. However, this type of IP only allows you to connect locally (on the same computer). If you want to access a different computer you will need to enter its IPv4. If you don’t know how to do that, follow the rest of the steps.

1. Get the IPv4 of the computer using Ableton:

on Windows,

• press Start,
  • type cmd, press return.
  • in the command prompt type ipconfig, press return.
  • Under Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi: you will find IPv4 Address . . . . : 000.000.0.00,
  • Keep this window open or note the IPv4.

on a Mac,

• Go to System Preferences > Network
  • Select your connection in the left sidebar.
  • Click Advanced > TCP/IP and you will see your computer’s IP address next to IPv4 Address
  1. Navigate back to TouchDesigner on the second computer and enter the IPv4 you found in the command prompt in the *tdAbleton’*s Ableton IP Address parameter, (Abletonaddress for py ref.).

Now your sessions should automatically connect.
Do not enter any /forward slash or append http://, nor add the port number :8080 in TD.
** as mentioned previously, if nothing works after this, also check that firewall is disabled.

Cheers,
juju

1 Like