Tdableton cannot add racks

Hi,

With tdAbleton I have two problems where the automatic addition of TDA Master fails, and the “Add x Rack” pulse buttons in abletonRack also fail.

For the TDA Master issue, tdAbleton does pop up to ask to add it, but it fails if I say Create. I can manually add TDA_Master and the connection is established.

For the Add Rack failures i’ve investigated this and found the cause:
When installing tdableton, it copies the TouchDesigner folder into the User Library\Remote Scripts folder.
The instructions in the wiki say to add the created TouchDesigner folder into Places, so the devices can be seen.
However, the TDA.py function setupDeviceDict never sees this folder. After testing, it appears that if you add any folder to Places that is already inside User Library (which itself is present in Places), then it is never present in the Live.Application.get_application().browser.user_folders result, and so the addDevice function always fails, showing in the Ableton log:

Exception: TDA_MIDI_Effect_Rack.adg device not found!

To work around this, I copied the TouchDesigner folder from User Library\Remote Scripts to outside User Library, added it to Places and the devices are added as expected.

This is with:
Ableton 12.0.10 Suite
Windows 11
TD 2023.11760
tdableton 2.5.0

Thank you for the report and workaround! This will be fixed in next release

Digging into this and everything installs properly for me. There is an issue with adding devices, but strangely it is different from the one you are describing.

The instructions in the wiki say to add the created TouchDesigner folder into Places, so the devices can be seen.

Can you link me to which instructions you are following here ^^^^? Want to make sure we don’t have obsolete instructions somewhere I’m missing.

Certainly - it was the section from here TDAbleton - Derivative that says : “If the automatic install doesn’t work, you can try the old manual installation method” which links to TDAbleton - Derivative under the section “Set up Ableton Live”

Since it wasn’t working with the automatic install, I followed the manual instructions where it says about dragging the TouchDesigner folder into Places.

Ah okay that makes sense. I need to review all of that I guess.