TDAbleton Live automation resolution

Hi there,

I’m using TDAbleton an am having issues with the automation resolution in Live.

I have made a series of M4L devices - simple dials that I am automating in Live and then mapping to camera translation in TD.

Everything is connecting as expected except there is a strange behaviour with the automation resolution in Live: It is coming into TD in clumps, so big jumps in numbers that are causing a jerky camera movement.

The strange part is that if I trigger a ramp object in the M4L device the number changes in TD are smooth and so is the camera movement.

So I’m guessing there is a resolution limit within Live itself? The video in this demos this behaviourhttps://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive

Has anyone come across this? Any experience shared is appreciated.

Thanks

That link is specific to your machine, so couldn’t see the video. But yes, often resolutions in live work in the old 0-127 range which is notably bad for things like animations. If that’s what’s going on, there’s not much you can do besides smoothing the data in TD.

Okay thanks Ivan that’s helpful.

I’m quite new to TD so do you have any pointers for data smoothing. Lag CHOP? Or Resolution CHOP?

Any suggestions for settings in these?

Cheers

I often use lag, but I have it on good authority that the filterCHOP with Type par set to “One Euro” is also a good way to go.

Thanks for your help Ivan, filter and lag both seem to do what I need. Lag adds a spongy effect to the camera movement which is quite cool…if you like that kind of thing.

1 Like