TDAbleton - a connection system for TouchDesigner and Ableton Live
Please post bug reports in their own subject in the Bugs forum and tag with TDAbleton (after searching to see if there is already a thread on that bug, of course)
TDAbleton is a tool for linking TouchDesigner tightly with Ableton Live. It offers full access to just about everything going on in an Ableton set, both for viewing and setting. The TDAbleton system contains a number of Components for 2 way communication, and a framework for building custom Components and new features.
TDAbleton operates through Ableton’s Midi Remote Scripts system and, when necessary, Max for Live (M4L) devices. Communication with TouchDesigner is via OSC (using udp). It is fully network capable, so TouchDesigner can be running on a separate machine from Ableton.
Feel free to post RFEs here.
For installation instructions and documentation, visit the wiki page:
A word on connection problems:
There is no way to query for an available OSC port, so most connection problems have to do with ports being used by other applications or not closed properly on application closing. If you have connection problems, here are a couple first things to try…
- Close all applications, including sub-processes like external editors, then reload everything. Alternatively, just restart your computer and try again.
- Change port numbers. Make sure they match in the TDA_Master device in Ableton and the tdAbleton COMP in TouchDesigner.
- Ableton Live 9.7.2 and up.
- Max for Live 7.3.3 and up. (Note: Max 7.3.3 has a MIDI pitch bend bug. Use 7.3.4!)
- Updates to TDAbleton have been in Touch installs since TouchDesigner version 099 2018.28070. Features may or may not work when moving TDAbleton versions backwards through TD builds.