Text DAT not saving

I’m assuming this is a problem with the user and not the software…

When saving a project, Text DATs nested within Bases disappear after saving, closing and reopening.

Various things I’ve tried so far:

• started from a completely fresh .toe / project (thinking that the tutorial file I was following had been made on a commercial version and there might be an issue with non-com vs com)
  • un-installed and re-installed Touch (a few times)
  • used a 2nd PC with a completely fresh install to open the saved .toe

Perhaps, ironically I’m working thru MIR / Matthew Ragan’s tutorial on external python.

Using 2019.20140 (on both pc’s) with Python 3.5.1 and VSCode.

link with .zip of project folders and files.

Screen grab of the missingDATs.

Any suggestions of where to start digging or perhaps the completely obvious thing that I’m doing wrong?

I haven’t looked at this in complete detail, but I suspect this has to do with how you’re using the base_qrcode.tox file.

Right now, your .toe file includes base_qrcode.tox as an external tox. So all that the top-level .toe file says is “load the file at base_qrocde/base_qrcode.tox”. When you save the top level file (externalPython.toe) it doesn’t incorporate the changes inside the base_qrcode Base. To get your changes to persist, you’ll need to specify that the changes inside that Base comp should get saved to the tox file. You can do this by right-clicking on the base_qrcode Base and choosing “Save component .tox”.

I think that should get your changes to persist. To ease things along, you might hold off on defining the separate .tox (so everything’s all contained in one file and will save every time you ctrl-s) until you’ve got everything working as you like, but then, maybe that’s part of the tutorial.

Stick with it. Matthew Ragan is one of the best and most generous teachers here or anywhere, but the external python system he’s putting together is pretty involved and there are a few places for things to go wrong. Good luck!

1 Like

Evan, You are correct! That worked.
I’m only part way thru the tutorial, just got my sparkles, and in the home stretch, but knowing so little I did not realize that TD could work that way.

Thank you for the insight and encouragement as well as the help.

1 Like