Texturing or Rotating Instances Separately

Hi all,

I’m working on an exercise where I try to recreate a gif, and I’m currently trying to recreate this one off Bees & Bombs: Dave Whyte on Instagram: "yea!"

I’m nearly there, I’ve made instances of a sphere and got them all rotating counter clockwise at the same speed, but I’m a little stumped when it comes to the blue gradient and each sphere rotating slightly differently than the last. Any hints here?

As always, your help is very much appreciated !

Week1Exercise.2.toe (5.8 KB)

Hey,

that’s a nice exercise!
You are on a very right track but think about it this way: if you don’t rotate the camera but instead rotate the positions of the Spheres (use a Transform SOP on the Circle), you will be able to rotate the spheres themselves via the instancing Rotate Y instancing parameter. Apply a colormap (like a Ramp or something) to the Material and all should work as expected.
You could also create the positions of the circle with a Pattern CHOP using its Phase Step per Channel parameter and then animate the whole thing by controlling the Phase parameter.

Cheers
Markus

Thanks so much for your response!

Here’s what I (and my coworkers who were guiding me a bit) ended up doing for the solution, going off of your suggestion for the pattern CHOP.

We used a Pattern CHOP to create 8 channels (one for each instance - also I changed them to 8 to match the amount of instances in the original GIF) and added a shift CHOP from there which scrolled by each channel index * 90 (setting the speed of the rotation of each sphere). Then put the shift & a timeline into a lookup table with a large enough range to hold a full rotation of 360. Then shuffle, resample, merge with the SOP to CHOP that held the data to create the instances, and used this new channel in the Rotate Y of the instance geo, causing each sphere to rotate based on the 8 samples in the channel.

Wondering if maybe there was a simpler way? Either way, the spheres are now spinning with an offset. Thanks again!