Touchdesigner and VST/VSTi integration?

Hi!

Out of curiosity, is there some way to host VST/VSTi within touchdesigner? What I was thinking is to use touchdesigner to make visuals, and then make visual-reactive audio to follow it. For instance, you could create a particle SOP and have each particle trigger a VSTi through various VST effects. I can do it with the built-in audio oscillator, but I’d like to have a bigger palette of sounds.

I also have Plogue Bidule and Reaper, and in my mind it seems like I should be able to connect touchdesigner with one of them, I’m just not really sure how.

Or maybe I’m asking something impossible. I don’t know. In anycase, I’m asking for the opposite of audio-reactive visuals. Instead, I’d like to make visual reactive audio!

I also see there’s a piece of software out there called “Midi Yoke”…maybe that’s what I’m looking for?

I would love to see a VST CHOP. The Steinberg VST SDK is openly published if you want to write a VST host as a C++ CHOP… seems difficult.

In the mean time, something like MIDI Yoke or OSC mapping parameters in another host is probably the way to go.

1 Like

We’ve used LoopMIDI a bunch lately and it works as expected. You set in TouchDesigner the MIDI output as LoopMIDI, and then in Ableton or Max or Reaper you select it as an input and you can start controlling things from MIDI as you wish. I personally like Max as a VST host. It is quite stable, has low overhead, and easy to script up.

1 Like