Touchdesigner - Unreal plugin for UE5

so im trying to build the plugin for my machine, with:

“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\RunUAT.bat” BuildPlugin -Plugin=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\PROJECTS\Unreal5\TD-UE5\TouchEngine-UE4-Samples-main\Plugins\TouchEngine-UE4\TouchEngine.uplugin -Package=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\PROJECTS\Unreal5\TD-UE5\compiled1\TouchEnigne-UE4 -Rocket

and I get this error…

Total time in Parallel executor: 32.19 seconds
Total execution time: 58.06 seconds
Took 58.2053381s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=0
Building plugin for target platforms: Android, IOS, Linux, LinuxAArch64, Win64, Win32
Running: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Game Win64 Development -Project=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\PROJECTS\Unreal5\TD-UE5\compiled1\TouchEnigne-UE4\HostProject\HostProject.uproject -plugin=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\PROJECTS\Unreal5\TD-UE5\compiled1\TouchEnigne-UE4\HostProject\Plugins\TouchEngine\TouchEngine.uplugin -iwyu -noubtmakefiles -manifest=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\PROJECTS\Unreal5\TD-UE5\compiled1\TouchEnigne-UE4\HostProject\Saved\Manifest-UE4Game-Win64-Development.xml -nohotreload -2017 -log=“C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.26\UBT-UE4Game-Win64-Development.txt”
ERROR: Visual Studio 2017 must be installed in order to build this target.
Took 0.4601026s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=6
UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.26\UBT-UE4Game-Win64-Development.txt)
AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=6 (6)
BUILD FAILED

I mean, why do I need to install visual studio 2017 to do this? really?

After installing visual studio 2017, I am getting these errors:

Building UE4Game…
Using Visual Studio 2017 14.16.27045 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023) and Windows 10.0.17763.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
Building 2 actions with 24 processes…
[1/2] Module.TouchEngine.gen.cpp
[2/2] Module.TouchEngine.cpp
C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/compiled1/TouchEnigne-UE4/HostProject/Plugins/TouchEngine/Source/TouchEngine/Private/TouchBlueprintFunctionLibrary.cpp(240): error C2027: use of undefined type ‘UTexture2D’
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/Level.h(30): note: see declaration of ‘UTexture2D’
C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/compiled1/TouchEnigne-UE4/HostProject/Plugins/TouchEngine/Source/TouchEngine/Private/TouchBlueprintFunctionLibrary.cpp(314): error C2027: use of undefined type ‘UTexture2D’
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/Level.h(30): note: see declaration of ‘UTexture2D’
C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/compiled1/TouchEnigne-UE4/HostProject/Plugins/TouchEngine/Source/TouchEngine/Private/TouchBlueprintFunctionLibrary.cpp(865): error C2664: ‘bool IsValid(const UObject *)’: cannot convert argument 1 from ‘UTexture *’ to ‘const UObject *’
C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/compiled1/TouchEnigne-UE4/HostProject/Plugins/TouchEngine/Source/TouchEngine/Private/TouchBlueprintFunctionLibrary.cpp(865): note: Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/compiled1/TouchEnigne-UE4/HostProject/Plugins/TouchEngine/Source/TouchEngine/Private/TouchEngineDynamicVariableStruct.cpp(1328): error C2065: ‘DropDownData’: undeclared identifier
Took 33.6399449s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=6
UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.26\UBT-UE4Game-Win64-Development.txt)
AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=6 (6)
BUILD FAILED

Hey @javismiles

No ETA for UE5 support at the moment. We are focused on getting the Plugin stable on latest stable releases of UE, aka 4.27.1.

It seems that you could have a few version mismatches.

VS2017 was probably picked by the script because of the -2017 flag it ran with. I’d recommend you to update to the latest Visual Studio if you do not have it, but also and even more important, the latest Visual Studio Build Tools. You can find all of this in the Visual Studio Installer.

When cloning the Github repository, make sure git clone --recurse gitURL with the recurse flag is being used, or the equivalent (pulling submodules) in any Git GUI you might be using.

Then, in the downloaded repo, because it seems you have multiple engine versions installed, right click the .uproject file and pick 4.26

It should open this window and make sure the project is ready to run in 4.26

Then, double click the .uproject file, and you will click Yes to recompile:

Another window will open with the compiler log/details. If it fails to compile, it is most probably because of machine-specific installations/setup or issues with build tools. Go through the documentation and those notes again, make sure you didn’t miss any step and make sure your build tools are all up to date, using VS2019 + VS2019 Build Tools.

If compiling went through with success, you can go to the plugins in the Samples project and you will see that the plugin is here, and enabled.

I just gave it a try and everything went through smoothly.

Note: We are in the process of getting things updated for 4.27.2, so you might see some move in the main branches of the repository during the day or next week, you should proceed to an update and recompile then.

Hope that helps,

Best,
Michel

wow @JetXS thank you for this great summary,
question, I can install visual studio 2022 already also, and maybe that would be nice, to install the latest one rather than the 2019 one, would that work also?

I didn’t test compiling the plugin with the 2022 Build Tools, so I’d suggest to hold back for now.

got you, im going to try 2019 following your instructions, by the way I wanted to try to compile it with the command line stuff, when you say " in the downloaded repo, because it seems you have multiple engine versions installed, right click the .uproject file and pick 4.26", where are you referring to that I should do that, that action is done from where exactly, in what environment? thank you @JetXS

There is the screenshot just below, Right click the .uproject file that is available in the Samples repository of the TouchEngine-UE4 Plugin after you cloned the repository.

If your UE was installed in a standard way, you should see in the context menu after right-clicking “Switch Unreal Engine version”. It will open a window with a drop-down menu with all your installed versions listed. Select 4.26.

@JetXS perfect thank you, I installed the 2019 community version, but you also say to also install the visual studio build tools, but i cannot find those anywhere, where are those?

@JetXS by the way the --recurse thing fails for me even when using administrator rights:

Rename from ‘C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples/.git/config.lock’ to ‘C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples/.git/config’ failed. Should I try again? (y/n) y
Submodule ‘Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’ (git@github.com:TouchDesigner/TouchEngine-UE4.git) registered for path ‘Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’
Cloning into ‘C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples/Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’…
Host key verification failed.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
fatal: clone of ‘git@github.com:TouchDesigner/TouchEngine-UE4.git’ into submodule path ‘C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples/Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’ failed
Failed to clone ‘Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’. Retry scheduled
Cloning into ‘C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/PROJECTS/Unreal5/TD-UE5/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples/Plugins/TouchEngine-UE4’…
Host key verification failed.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights

@JetXS it seems to have worked and compiled, thank you Michael

Build tools are available in the Visual Studio Installer or here Download Visual Studio Tools - Install Free for Windows, Mac, Linux

Not quite sure here, the repositories are public so you shouldn’t encounter any issues. It might be that you have some of the files currently opened and locked. Close anything that makes use of the repository or start a fresh clone with --recurse if you didn’t.

Sweet, have fun !

Is this working with UE5 yet? I see there’s a UE5 branch

It’s a dev branch made around Early Access. No official support for UE5 Previews yet.

Thanks for the update. Any rough idea on timeline? Is it being worked on at the moment?

No timeline at the moment. We are focused on our upcoming release and switch from Experimental to Stable.

1 Like

Any news on this topic?

Not really. No UE5 plugin in the short term @willyillyum.

Best,
Michel

No worries

In a top line sense, do you have an idea how significant the rework would be to get the TOPs stuff working, should I want to look at it myself?

Hi everyone in this thread looking for a UE5 version of the plugin. We’re happy to annouce we’ve now release a version for UE 5.0.3

Closing - We are moving to TouchEngine Plugin for Unreal Engine: UE5 Beta available - 2022-07-14 02:41