TouchEngine For UE 5.1, DX12 support, preliminary Vulkan support, what’s next
Fantastic news! Look forward to continued updates. Requiring PIE mode is still the major showstopper for our virtual production needs but will continue to explore the potential of TouchDesigner to Unreal workflows.
@JetXS I’ve started to use the Unreal Plugin 5.1 release and it’s mostly working great so far. I am seeing a strange behavior where when I duplicate the TouchEngineUESamp level (so I can mess things up while leaving the original level untouched), the frame rate in Touch seems to drop significantly. In my new level which I created by opening the Sample level and Saving As a different name, in the Editor I can move around and shoot with no performance issues but when I activate any of the examples there is significant stuttering in the Chop output from Touch Engine. Is there a setup step I may have missed in creating this new level? Thanks!
I moved your post here as it is a more recent thread dedicated to this new release
the frame rate in Touch seems to drop significantly
You mean in the TouchEngine ?
Or do you have another instance of Touch running on your machine that gets affected ?
If you look at the task manager, how many Unreal processes do you see ? How many TouchEngine processes ?
When “copy pasting” the whole project, I think things should be fine overall. What you might want to do is empty the cache of the project by removing some of the temporary build / cache folders such as:
Then you can either recompile everything using Visual Studio or start the project which will likely trigger a recompile as well.
Hi Michel @JetXS
Specifically it was the Chop output from TouchEngine embedded with Unreal that was having performance issues. So the same instances I had flying around in my sample level(I’ve been working off of Sample06) very smoothly, were slow and stuttery in the new level, and I saw this effect on all of the samples. I took your suggestion and closed my project and reopened (I was not prompted to recompile). Once I reopened the project the problem was solved!
I’m curious if this would be reproducible on other machines though and where the issue is coming from. It’s not a big deal to restart the project but it is still interesting behavior.
I will investigate further and try to reproduce with a copy of the full project like you did.
Thanks for the report,
I took your suggestion and closed my project and reopened (I was not prompted to recompile)
You should be prompted to recompile when starting the project, after having deleted the folders I mentioned in the previous message.
I am unable to reproduce so far.
If it occurs again on your end. I’d suggest to make sure all samples are unloaded, and then move to Sample 01 and load only this one.
Read on the texture what’s the FPS, if it comes in as 60 then the issue could be with resources available on the machine in some cases.
Take a good look at the task manager in that case and get an idea of what is going on / using resources when that occurs before getting back to us