TouchEngine Plugin for Unreal Engine - Beta Release

Probably got mistaken by this

In the screenshot you posted here, it looks like the build tools are on C: while the rest is on D.

Do you get any info about the crash, no error message, crash report or trace?

Regarding the git clone, I think you can just press OK, I’m not using openssh to manage my keys though…

Note that you can also just download the samples release package Release TouchEngine-UE4 Plugin Samples v0.9.2 (BETA) · TouchDesigner/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples · GitHub

Thanks,
Michel

Ah dang, still not working with the sample project… Hmmmmmm

@LucidMatter Can you please drop a “TouchEngine” shortcut in Content/TDToxFiles and give it another try ?

Thanks

Hmm… I actually had nothing in my TouchEngine-UE4 folder in Plugins, so replaced it with the normal folder for the plugin which got me to the point of the last post.

When i put the TouchEngine shortcut in the TDToxFiles it still gives me the same “TouchEngine could not be found” error. The editor runs, and it looks like it works, but if I make my own class and put in a TouchEngineComponent, it does not.

I’ll try reinstalling unreal and td and see if that helps. I’ve done some weird messing around with both programs in my time with them…

Hmm… I actually had nothing in my TouchEngine-UE4 folder in Plugins, so replaced it with the normal folder for the plugin which got me to the point of the last post.

Please make sure that the plugin is enabled and that you restart Unreal Engine after the change.

but if I make my own class and put in a TouchEngineComponent, it does not.

You shouldn’t have to do that in the Sample project, you just have to hit play and shoot at the on/off buttons to see if things load properly.

Let me know if there is any progress,

Thanks,
Michel

Interesting. I reinstalled both TD and Unreal to the recommended versions (same as before), did the correct steps for setup, and included the TouchEngine shortcut to the new TD location, and when I connected a tox, I got this message that seems like something happened. To be safe I reopened Unreal, and now when I connect to a tox, I don’t get an error, but it just loops the connecting animation.

Screenshot_69

Screenshot_22

Let’s ignore the animation for now.

• Do the parameters (if any ?) of the .tox you are trying to load show up underneath the Reload Tox button ?
  • Did you try with the Samples project as well?
  • Forgot to ask: what kind of license do you have?

None of the parameters show up on my project, no. I let it sit for 10 min and its still looping the animation.

The sample project works, meaning when I hit the buttons in play mode, everything works. But, when I put my own tox file into the content folder (I’ve been trying with the default wiggling jelly beans from TD with a TOP out) it doesnt connect, it just loops the animation.

I have a commercial TD license.

Well, at least some good news with the Samples project working :slight_smile:

Can you please share your .tox file with me?

Thanks,
Michel

Wow, okay. So I finally got it all to work, not sure what the problem was. I think the instruction in the github confused me, and didn’t include all the steps I had to go through. Also, I have a feeling part of the problem was my installation of either TD or Unreal, because the samples didn’t work before either.

My process I replicated was this:

1. Create a C++ Unreal project. I found if I start with Blueprint, if I make a C++ class out of the C++ components in the TouchEngine folder, it gives me that error from before about “duplicate leaf header” because it creates a duplicate cpp file in the source folder, creating a conflict.
  2. Close the Unreal project, add Plugins folder with the TouchEngine-UE4 folder in it.
  3. Relaunch Unreal project, and install the plugin through the Plugins Manager, restart, ensure the plugin is enabled, close Unreal.
  4. Build the C++ solution
  5. Add the tox and the TouchEngine shortcut to the Content folder.
  6. Launch Unreal. With this method I just create Blueprints from the TouchEngineActor class in the All Classes drop down when creating a new BP Actor.

I hope this helps anyone else who may have problems with installation! As of now, I got it working, and I got data transferring as intended.

Thanks for all the help @JetXS, you’ve been incredibly on top of this.

2 Likes
  1. Create a C++ Unreal project. I found if I start with Blueprint, if I make a C++ class out of the C++ components in the TouchEngine folder, it gives me that error from before about “duplicate leaf header” because it creates a duplicate cpp file in the source folder, creating a conflict.
  2. Close the Unreal project, add Plugins folder with the TouchEngine-UE4 folder in it.
  3. Relaunch Unreal project, and install the plugin through the Plugins Manager, restart, ensure the plugin is enabled, close Unreal.
  4. Build the C++ solution
  5. Add the tox and the TouchEngine shortcut to the Content folder.
  6. Launch Unreal. With this method I just create Blueprints from the TouchEngineActor class in the All Classes drop down when creating a new BP Actor.

I followed this way but got “fatal error” and crash.
TD: 2021.14360
Unreal: 4.26.2 compiled from source code.

FYI~ Thanks!

Hey @3710tomoya

Apologies for the delay.

This issue is now fixed in the latest commit of the main branch of the plugin.

Thanks,
Michel

Thanks for your working!
I’ll try it

For users having issues compiling the plugin / .uproject:

The plugin cannot compile currently when the build configuration is set to NOT include the editor. At the moment, the only way to compile the plugin with the project is to use an Editor configuration.

An issue was logged to our tracker for a developer to look into it.

More details about configurations are available at the following links:

More details were added to the documentation to help users compile the samples with Visual Studio: GitHub - TouchDesigner/TouchEngine-UE4-Samples: A sample project relying on the TouchEngine-UE4 pl

Best,
Michel

Hello everyone,

A new version of the TouchEngine-UE4 Plugin is now available on Github. Links in the original post are updated.

Main changes include UE 4.27.1 Support, Unicode characters support, and various stability fixes and improvements.

Best,
Michel

1 Like

Hello, I have the exact same problem, and followed everything correctly like 10 times, with every release, but without sucess. I have a question about it, though: does TD NEED to have a paid license to use this? Because I was wondering if this error is appearing just because I have the non-commercial/free license…

Hello @vipz

What “exact same problem” are you referring to?

Yes, you will need a paid licence to use the TouchEngine Plugin within Unreal.

Best,
Michel

Hey @JetXS

Thank you for the quick answer! Everything looks perfect, but the cubes won’t stop “Loading” when I shoot the “On/Off” cubes - or I get the message “Failed to load TOX file:”, but I assume it’s because of the free license.

Well, thank you so much for the help

@vipz

Indeed yeah, pretty sure that’s what you would notice.

It should have also printed some descriptive errors to the console.

I will confirm that it gets in the console, and improve the “Failed to load TOX file” message to specify that it failed to load because of a missing license.

Best,
Michel

TE-UE4 # 108

Closing - We are moving to TouchEngine Plugin for Unreal Engine: UE5 Beta available - 2022-07-14 02:41