Trompe-l'œil with head tracking

Hi there,
I try to recreate a trompe-l’oeil effect, as in this video. I’d like to give the impression of a continuous space beyond the screen.

I use the Kinect to do the head tracking, calibrated according to its position in relation to the screen, which is reproduced with exact proportions in the 3D scene.

I use the Quad Reprojection tool on the palette to render with the camera, which is linked to the positions of the user’s head.

This works well when the scene is small, like a box behind the screen, but if I use a larger scene, the perspectives look a bit odd and the parallax effect is too pronounced.

What are the best practices to achieve this effect?

2 Likes

Hey @vince79,

have you played with the camera’s view parameters to see if that can help the illusion? Not sure what settings might be required to approximate the human eye.

cheers
Markus

Hi Markus,

As the camera uses the projection matrix, camera’s view parameters are not available.

Here is an example. I don’t know if it correctly demonstrates what I’m trying to explain, but it shows a bit of the technique I’m trying to achieve. The FOV seems incorrect to me, especially with the background elements.

sweetSpot.tox (23.2 KB)

Hi @vince79,

the cameras were you can change them are the “cam_sweetspot” Camera COMPs in “/sweetSpot/scene*”

cheers
Markus

@snaut
Yes, I’d already tried that, but the “sweetSpot” camera settings don’t change anything in the QuadReproject camera rendering. Maybe I’m missing something.

Hi @vince79,

sorry, you are absolutely right - focus, aperture can’t have an effect on the camera as the matrix is determined by the homography…

The only thing I can think of now is, if it’s too pronounced, can you try reduce the scale in z of the scene with the pivot at the screen position?

@malcolm - would you have any other ideas?

cheers
Markus

I love that project!

Could you give me some information about how to calibrate the camera position and settings according to the 3D scene, please?