Unwanted values calculating slope

Hello,
I feel like this should be pretty simple, so hopefully I am just missing something straightforward. I am using the slope CHOP to calculate the slope from incoming values. You can see from the trail what the incoming values to the slope are, and what the slope outputs. The spikes on the slope should not be there, it makes me wonder if it is sampling at improper times, but when I select the ‘slope per sample’ it just makes the issue worse. Thanks!

My first guess is the input to slope7 (that is totalDegrees2) isn’t timesliced properly, so the slope is reacting to dropped frames.
But from your screenshot, it looks smooth (trail3).
The values are quite large though, so maybe we wouldn’t notice stepping at that scale.

If you turn off the realtime flag up top (so no frames are dropped) do you get smooth output?
Try connecting slope2 to things further back in the chain to see if any of them produce smooth output.

Also look at the popup info of those input CHOPs.
Do they report as time sliced? They should.

Cheers,
Rob

The realtime button was the trick! Thank you!

Oh, but keep in mind the realtime button should ideally be left on.
It keeps things cooking at a regular pace.
Turning it off, causes every frame to cook, regardless of how much time they take.

The ideal solution is to turn on real-time and figure out what’s not timesliced in your network.

Ahh okay, that makes sense. In the end I ended up adding the calculations to a C++ chop I already had going which kind of side steps fixing it within Touch directly but fixed it none the less.

I’ll look out for what is not timesliced as that could cause problems elsewhere.

Thank you for explaining the pros and cons of using the realtime button, very helpful to understand what is actually happening behind the scenes.