Version Management for external Tox files

Hello everybody,

when working with external Tox files I really miss an option to keep track of my versions, like it’s done in the toe files. Working on a system with multiple embedded tox files gives me hundrets of toe backups over time, but its not worth the storage because most likely ‘the old state’ am I looking for is in an tox which got overwritten.

My best workaround is to zip the modules folder from time to time manually keep track of old versions. Im sure there is something automatic available as an external file management tool, but for me it would be great to get something similar to the Toe solution build in.

Many thanks for your advice and consideration
Sven

PS: If I could get an extra wish, this would be an comment box when saving where I can keep a version note. This making this note accessible via the windows file properties would be cool as well.

Check out git. It already helps you keeping track of changes and makes colboration much easier. Also, there are several tools to manage external toxes, for example from Matthew Ragan or from myself (Private Investigator).

Thanks for your reply, Wieland.

The Investigator looks very interresting and I’ll have a look for sure.

Right now I am using the Tox Tools which at least reminds me which files are changed (I think that one was from Matthew). But I am wondering how to keep local copies of the external files, like its done with Toe-files. Do I miss something?

I am using git for some projects, but managing the toxes locally with numbers or time stamps sounds much easier for most of the projects. I personally would also not deactive the incremental save option for toe’s and fully outsource this on git. Even for the projects which are on Git.

Possibly I should hack me into one of the Tox savers and add a 2nd saved Tox with the date and time in it’s filename.

Happy Weekend
Sven