Virtual Camera TOP

It would be great to have virtual camera out TOP. Currently, I have to use NDI out plus NDI tools Virtual Input to create a virtual camera in Zoom or Google Meets. It would be great to cut out the middleman of NDI tools.

1 Like

I just saw in the Notch release notes today something similar:

[UI] Added NotchCam: Allowing Notch output to appear in other applications such as Zoom and Hangouts as a webcam (DirectShow device). Works in Builder & Standalone.

Something similar would be pretty cool - instead of a whole new TOP, I could see this as a change to the existing video device out TOP that supported virtual devices / device emulation.

1 Like

+++ 100!

Every little thing to reduce latency in these chains is huge.

1 Like

We discussed this back in March when talking about how to improve streaming tools. We chose to improve NDI (and make it Non-Commercial) and spend our time on the Video Stream TOPs, as the creation of a webcam out in the Video Device Out was a magnitude more work.

Its not off the table, just letting you know we’ve discussed it and identified it, frying some other big fish first!

5 Likes

This would be awesome, but compared to NDI, isn’t SpoutCAM basically just as latency (and compression artifact) free as a direct implementation would be anyways? since it’s basically just exposing a realtime texture on the GPU…

I’m certainly not trying to discount the benefit of having a direct VirtualWebcam implementation in TouchDesigner re: ease of use and setup (especially for new / remote people)…

Also why not a Virtual Audio Device and maybe even a Virtual MIDI device while we’re at it so I don’t have to install VB-Audio Cable and Bome’s MIDI translator? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh I somehow had missed SpotCAM! This is great thanks @Peeet

Both NDI and Spout out have very little latency if any and all. I’m just being a bit greedy. I made a toe file that overlays webrender graphics over a webcam. The boss uses it for Zoom meetings. Just hoping I could simplify for any novice user so there wasn’t multiple pieces of software to launch.