VST Plugin Testing

I’ll keep the following blog article up to date with the VST plugins we are testing. Please let us know if there are particular plugins that aren’t working correctly. This thread is for talking VST so let us know what you’re doing with VSTs, what you’re favorite VST is, or maybe what you hope to see working soon.

3 Likes

Hello, thank you for the VSTs!
– I have tried Sonobus and it works great inside TD, able to route sound to different iOS or Android phones
– I need to use IEM ambisonic plugins to play ambisonic 1st order file (4 channels), moving it in space and translate to binaural 2 channels. IEM in TD doesnt recognise 4 channels entry.
https://sonobus.net/

Hey Jacques - there were already notes from Eric in the database regarding these plugins. I downloaded them and confirm I see the same thing as you. Good to have these to test as they have unique requirements.

Best regards,
Jarrett

This plugin Unify deserves mention as I have succesfully loaded VST plugins like Battery (VST2) from Native Instruments using it as it is VST3 yet it can bring in VST2 and also create combinations of them and save there settings which the audioVST chop does not do. Yes you lose the amazign ability to import and control parameters, yet it is a great workaround for VST2’s. Unify (Standard Edition) - PluginGuru.com

1 Like

Interesting Rob thats very useful! And yes we are still working on saving the VST plugin state on saving.

1 Like

2022.20150 (Windows)

I have a suggestion for ambisonics related plugins: GitHub - leomccormack/SPARTA: A collection of spatial audio related VST plug-ins developed using JUCE and the Spatial_Audio_Framework

You will have to build the VST3 files yourself however. Feature request: VST3 · Issue #28 · leomccormack/SPARTA · GitHub

I encounter two issues with the VST3 ambisonics binaural decoder:

The first is that this VST plugin expects the block size to be a multiple of 128. I’ll ask the SPARTA devs about this because it seems too strict.

2022-03-02 11_01_41-

Second, I’m not sure the VST CHOP is trying to take in the 9 channels. Is it just taking 2 as a default?

If I change the Decoding Order parameter, I would hope that the VST would adaptively take in more channels. In ambisonics, N-order is (N+1)^2 channels. So 2nd order is 9 channels.

1 Like

Tested the latest Arturia plugin collection for Instruments and FX on Apple Silicon - everything is working great. Oops not sure Apple Silicon is public yet. I guess I let that cat out of the bag. Will be coming soon.

2 Likes

Unfiltered Audio’s full plugin suite seems to be stable. Only haven’t tested the LION synthesizer yet.

As a music creator I see a lot of potential in VST support although it still has its issues (parameters losing their chop references when switching presets for instance). It gives users the ability to enhance and diversify audio experiences. Sadly I don’t have access to a Kinect but I bet automating audio effects with it could be a very cool experience and performance element.

I recently started incorporating TouchDesigner into my VST review process and it has opened some very interesting abilities I didn’t have before. So I’m looking forward to more support and stability for VST’s. If you look up my Turnado video on YouTube and skip to the voice demo that’s all Touchdesigner.

Thanks for the feedback. For VST plugin parameters it’s better to use a bind CHOP because it’s bidirectional, rather than a CHOP reference. That being said, we will look into ways to improve the interaction between preset/parameter changes in the plugin window and python expressions on the TD side.

1 Like

Ah I see. Yes using the bind CHOP seems to work really well. Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn’t aware of the function of those CHOP’s :+1:

1 Like

Regarding Ambisonics, Binaural/Ambisonic Rendering and Spatial Audio:
DearReality - Dear VR Pro is working fine using mac pro 14 2021, TD 2022.29850

If the IEM Suite could be used with multichannel in/out, this would be just great.

Also working as inteded:
Surge XT Synthesizer

NOT working: Surge XT FX

1 Like

Just to add an update to this…

VCV rack is working

Maschine 2 is kind of working…it is waiting for a midi clock input for it to play the sequencer but you can send midi notes to it

too bad . @Derivative Is there a workaround ?

No workaround unfortunately – we do have a fix coming in the next experimental release with the addition of new parameters on the VST CHOP for driving time in the plugin. We haven’t tested with this particular plugin, but had success with other sequencers such as HY-SEQ32.

3 Likes

Thank you Eric

Howdy … I’m exploring using vst step sequencers in TD to control visuals. Wondering if this is possible … eg can i send midi clock to the vst and receive Midi data back from it ?
currently exploring this VST … https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-rpewin-mac/

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

Hey Puck,

In the next experimental which will be out in the not too distant future, you can run VST sequencers and there are Python callbacks for MIDI so yes you can do what you are asking for with sequencer plugins.

J

1 Like

Hey Achim,

Just tested latest updates from NI - I can confirm both Reaktor and Maschine are working in TouchDesigner. You will want a fast computer though. My 6 year old system here was having trouble with a large Maschine demo file at 60 fps in TD. If TD drops frames you hear a wobble in the audio. Setting TD back to 30 fps fixed the wobble.

Only bummer is that Maschine is still stuck in a small floating VST window but defintiely looks like something to explore now.

J

1 Like

Any updates on this?