What does the adoption of Vulcan mean for the future of TouchDesigner?

Ok ya this makes sense. So, in a way this would operate similar to how the composite top operates, where if the number of inputs is over 32, the top internally via cpu, sort of “runs two passes”?

I guess then my only other question would be - what happens if a glsl shader tries to access say light 0, followed by light 50, within a for loop? If the first 32 lights are mapped to 32 available samplers, then would there be some extra cost or limitation or recompile needed if the desired light, is not already mapped to a sampler? Also maybe I’m over complicating this and missing some mechanic that helps with this sort of thing…

To zoom out a bit, my questions are all circling around the subject of Clustered Shading - an optimization / acceleration structure of sorts that makes it possible to render very large quantities of lights.
It does require having immediate access to all lights though in some sort of buffer since different sets of lights are iterated through on a pixel to pixel basis.

Trying to figure out if the new system would make it easier / more elegant to implement that than is currently possible, or if the same work around(s) would be necessary.

Vulkan (at least on Windows) allows for far more samplers in a single shader at least, so that’s much more open. I’m not sure in general about your question though, we’ll have to see once I dig into that more.

3 Likes

hi malcom and touch team
just want to ask when we can expect to see first glimpse of the vulkan port? cant wait to see and get hands on! especially since some of my clients have unreal-viruses in their heads… :roll_eyes:
so to have access to the new world of possibilities regarding image-quality, feautures will be a major step, at least to me! :slight_smile:
best regards and thank you!
luka

2020.40000 became 2021.10000, so I’m still targeting Vulkan to make it into the ‘next’ build series, so hopefully 2021.30000.

7 Likes

So 3000 is the next experimental or the one after the next eperimental? But seeing 2021 in you estimate fills me with hope :wink:
looking so much forward to this !

1 Like

hi malcom
thank you for your response!
any little tiny miny details… ?
will we have better integrated post effects, like ssr, motion blur, dof… or even raytracing?!
waiting so long, while seeing the glitter over the fence… :wink:
cant wait, as an 3d vfx veteran, im getting so exited to get better 3D pictures out of touch!
so, have an understanding for me and i guess for the rest of us! :joy:
best regards, thanks for developing this wonderful application!
luka

Well to temper expectations, it’s a two phase process. The first part is just getting everything working in Vulkan. This should result in much higher performance and lower CPU usage when driving the GPU. I can architect GPU<->CPU workflows far nicer with Vulkan, so more work can be threaded, data can be output to devices with lower latency, and overall CPU cook times for TOPs will be lower.
Once we’re happy with the stability of that, then I can get started on fancy new features. Yes, we plan to greatly improve the rendering quality, building that on top of Vulkan.

15 Likes