Whats the best way to erase a paintbrush / trail effect?

Lets say you create a classic feedback brush or stylus effect but want to erase the trails every once in a while. Obviously, you can use a level to have the trails fade off over time, but lets say you only want total saturation and total erasure. The part im struggling with is keeping my alpha transparent so i can overlay over a video feed. How do you erase all the necessary values while maintaining the transparent background?

When using a matteTop i was surprised to not have it operate how i thought it would. see picture.

When using a value of 1 as the eraser to subtract from the pen the problem is that once the field is erased now I have a value of 1 constantly blocking the pen from redrawing on the screen and do not want to create a system to ‘reset’ that value.

I also tried using chanMix Top to just erase the alpha or RGB values, but was also not getting the desired affect.

Attached is .toe file.

brush erase.toe (23.6 KB)

Thanks for any direction im sort of stumped

hi,

not sure to understand the goal and the use case but :

• i would create a black and white texture and write it as alpha channel
  • see if RemapTOP could be of any use to blend channels from 2 textures (original and eraser one)
  • make sure your textures are 32bits depth for more definition and accuracy color wise.
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Gallo.
I’ll attempt to clarify, I am trying to erase the feedback pen (brush, drawing, etc) without having to erase what I use as the eraser; so that the pen can continue to draw. Hope that makes sense.

Ok I worked on this for the last couple days and found a workable solution. Still sort of seems over programed but it works.
Just using the color white to create the draw affect and comping over the color black as the eraser. Then I through that mono texture into a reorder to get rid of the alpha channel and used that with a lookup ::shrug::
Still looking for a solution where I don’t have to wait for the eraser to ‘fade out’ to have the drawing continue.

brush eraseTWO clean.toe (14.0 KB)