Windows 11, frame drops, presenting windows in performance monitor

Hi!

specs first:
Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen 2i
11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz
32GB RAM
NVidia RTX A2000 laptop GPU

I have slight frame drops (I believe?) almost frequently about once a second, but I think it’s not exactly frequent. I started noticing it as ‘twitching’ when transforming anything (TOP or rendered SOP) across the screen horizontally or vertically. I attach the .toe but it’s really quite simple transform across the screen.

I checked the performance monitor and the biggest consumer is something called ‘presenting windows’ (see attached image). This is on windows 11. On Mac Os I cannot see this and there doesn’t seem to be any visible problem.

When I look on to monitors-dat, I see that Touch claims to be using the onboard GPU instead of RTX (see attached image), but then again I’ve tried to set everywhere that Touch would use RTX and also NVidia’s monitor shows that touch is using it. I understood somewhere that in any case my laptop’s display finally uses onboard GPU and what RTX produces is reverted to it. Is the above ‘presenting windows’ about that? Should it usually take that long? Should monitors-dat rather show RTX as a GPU?

simpletransformdrops.toe (6.1 KB)

Thanks for noticing!
Toni.

1 Like

Actually the perform-chop doesn’t show any frame drops until I add more moving objects and start zooming in and out on the workspace. Then there’s some occasional flickering and sometimes tearing (I guess that’s the right word?) on the objects.

I’m also stumped by this “Presenting Windows” line. If anybody has any info regarding what it means, I’d love to hear it.

In a project I’m currently working on, I cannot reach 60fps. The only other line that eats up any time is the “Rendering a Window” line at 2.6ms. Everything else is well below 1ms. Yet, I cannot reach 60fps because “Presenting Windows” takes 30ms… I do not understand what this number means. Why is it taking so long?

I tried removing most operators and “Presenting Windows” still eats up 12ms. This is on Windows 11.

Same issue currently happening on a Windows 11 Laptop with a Geforce 2060. Going to try and update drivers and if there’s no love there roll back to a pre-vulkan build as i’ve had to do that a few times in the last couple months.

Seems to happen entirely randomly, even if nothing is playing.

Quick follow up on this as I’m dealing with it in a current install. I believe this is a Windows 11 issue.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is periodically spiking upwards of 50% of the GPU for some reason.
This thread purports to have a solve:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-dwmexe-high-gpu-usage-on/aff2c348-6ec3-4c11-a3af-253fa2190690

However it did not work for me, and since I’m tight on time I haven’t been able to troubleshoot too much. I’ve just switched the show to my Macbook. Never boring.

2 Likes

I am having the exact same problem on a Windows 11laptop with RTX3050.
It might be one way to build Windows 10 virtual using DaaS such as Amazon workspace.
Thanks for bringing up the issue!

1 Like

Same thing is happening on my side. I am using Windows 11, nvidia M5000M with latest driver. When I am not in exclusive mode, I sometimes see randomly repeating spikes produced by Presenting Windows. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they grow to higher spikes. Jumping to exclusive mode gets rid of them, however exclusive mode is unusable on my system due to a huge lag described here.

Nevertheless here is a video showing them (in case it might help somehow)… It was recorded in perform mode - you can clearly see repeating (and growing) spikes - these are caused just by Presenting Windows. End of the video is just me jumping out of perform mode and stopping video recording, so don’t be alarmed by the change in frame times there :slight_smile:

presenting_windows.mov.crash (714.8 KB)

This can happen in Windows 10 too, so it’s not specific to 11

I have the same issue on Windows 10.

I was having a similar issue, not sure if it was related to Present Windows, but hopefully the solution I found helps with this!

Go to Settings > System > Display > Graphics > Change Default Graphics Settings. Here, turn off the “Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling” option (I also turned off the Variable Refresh Rate at the same time, so it may be that as well). After restarting, I got a lot less dropped frames.

Found from this page

The lag caused by going into exclusive mode is fixed in the current posted builds. FYI.

3 Likes

I just started getting this issue yesterday, using 099 build: 2023.11220 on Windows 10. Tried with and without hardware acceleration, tried using different drivers for RTX3060. The latency went down 1ms with hardware acceleration, but that’s all that happened. The latency is 28/29ms.

30ms of latency is expected, the GPU has a 3 frame queue. The latency mentioned early was closer to 500ms.